Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Bible Trivia!!!

Every Tuesday morning, my congregation has a ladies bible class. This morning our lesson was over knowing scripture and before I go on about what's on my heart I want you all to think about these Bible questions and test your knowledge a little bit and I'll list the answers at the end of the post! :)

*Disclaimer: I did not come up with these questions, they were used in our lesson this morning.*

1. Who was known as the Father of the Faithful?
2. On what mountain did King Saul die?
3. Name the three oldest men in the Bible and tell the age when they died.
4. Name the father of Ahab.
5. After Paul was stricken blind, who did the Lord tell to go and heal him?
6. Name the 3 minor prophet books in the Old Testament that begin with the letter "H".
7. Who fell from a window while listening to Paul preach and why did he fall?
8. Who was the father of Boaz?
9. Name all the books in the New Testament that John wrote.
10. Who was known as the weeping prophet?
11. Who anointed Solomon to be King (2 people)?
12. In what city did Mary, Martha, and Lazarus live?
13. Who was the father of Noah?
14. How many chapters are there in the whole Bible?
15. What cruel woman told her daughter to ask for the head of John the Baptist?

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I did not know the answer to these questions. I actually probably didn't even know the answer to half of them. So this lesson for me was a huge wake-up call.

Mark 12:18-27 says:
 "And some Sadducees (who say there is no resurrection) came to Him, and began questioning Him, Saying, "Teacher, Moses wrote for us that IF A MAN'S BROTHER DIES, and leaves behind a wife, AND LEAVES NO CHILD, HIS BROTHER SHOULD TAKE THE WIFE, AND RAISE UP OFFSPRING TO HIS BROTHER. There were seven brothers; and the first took a wife and died, leaving no offspring. And the second one took her, and died, leaving behind no offspring; and the third likewise; and so all seven left no offspring. Last of all the woman died also. In the resurrection, when they rise again, which one's wife will she be? For all seven had her as wife." Jesus said to them, "Is this not the reason you are mistaken, that you do not understand the Scriptures, or the power of God? For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. But regarding the fact that the dead rise again, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the burning bush, how God spoke to him, saying, 'I AM THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, AND THE GOD OF ISAAC, AND THE GOD OF JACOB'? He is not the God of the dead, but of the living; you are greatly mistaken."
So basically, this scripture is telling us of a time when Jesus was out teaching, and people were trying to catch Jesus slipping up, somehow falling short. People were trying to prove that Jesus was not the Son of God, but obviously, in fact He was. So here are the Sadducees, who did not believe, trying to get Jesus to slip up. You can almost hear them mocking Him, like "Oh yeah, well explain this Jesus!" But Jesus just showed them that they were taking scripture out of context and not looking at the whole picture.

Exodus 3:5-9 (the passage Jesus was referring the Sadducces to and the passage where God is speaking to Moses through a burning bush) says:
"Then He said, "Do not come near here; remove your sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground." He said also, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." Then Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God." And the LORD said, "I have surely seen the affliction of My people who are in Egypt, and have given heed to their cry because of their taskmasters, for I am aware of their sufferings. So I have come down to deliver them from the power of the Egyptians, and to bring them up from that land to a good and spacious land, to a land flowing with milk and Honey, to the place of the Canaanite and the Hittite and the Amorite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite. And now, behold, the cry of the sons of Israel has come to Me; furthermore, I have seen the oppression with which the Egyptians are oppressing them." 
God was telling Moses that He was God! Through a burning bush. He always was God to the generations before Moses and He will be God to all the generations after Moses! And if I was being told by God that God was God through a bush that was on fire, but not completely burning to ash, um....I think I would take His word for it.

Psalms 119:9-16 says:
"How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word. With all my heart I have sought You; Do not let me wander from Your commandments. Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You. Blessed are You O Lord; Teach me Your statutes. With my lips I have told of All the ordinances of Your mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches. I will meditate on Your precepts And regard Your ways. I shall delight in Your statues; I shall not forget Your word." 
 So how can we be sure that we will always be walking right with God? By studying his word!! We aren't going to attain any knowledge or wisdom if we don't get our nose into the book. Jeff Bethke once said in a YouTube video of his that the only way we can assure that we become more like God, is if we spend time with Him, studying his scriptures. Which is true. Don't you become a lot like the people you surround yourself with? I know that I sure do. Involuntarily most of the time, but I do.

Referring back to the first scripture I mentioned, it's important to know the scriptures because one day, our own little Sadducees are going to come along testing our knowledge, and asking us "Well how do you explain this?" More than likely just for the sake of arguing, not because they really want to learn of the Word. Nonetheless, we still need to know the scriptures. So that we know for ourselves and we know to teach other people the truth.

A lot of times I start to think that the Old Testament is not as important as the New since we live by the New Testament because the Old was done away with at the cross, but I am SO wrong. God is the same God today as He has always been. He was God to Moses, and Jacob and Abraham and Issac. And the stories He left for us to read in the Old Testament are SO important and they are important because there are so many lessons that we can learn from them. So I don't know about you, but I am definitely going to start making a huge effort to start studying more of the Old Testament and seeing how great our God really is and the miraculous things He did for His people.

So, hopefully you kind of thought over those questions at the beginning of the post! How many did you know the answers to? Some? None? All of them? Whatever you knew is fine. But remember we can never learn enough from God. If we are willing to learn from Him, He will keep revealing new things to us. Here are the answers from the earlier questions:

1. Abraham.
2. Mount Gilboa.
3. Methuselah, 969; Jared 962; Noah, 950. (Like WOW, right?)
4. Omri.
5. Ananias.
6. Hosea; Habakkuk; Haggai.
7. Eutycus; He fell asleep.
8. Salmon.
9. John; 1, 2, & 3 John; Revelation.
10. Jeremiah.
11. Nathan; Zadock.
12. Bethany.
13. Lamek.
14. 1,189.
15. Herodias.

*Knowing me, a lot of those are spelled wrong but whatever ;)*

Anyway, I hope this got your brains and your hearts churning like it did mine this morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment